The Cigar Box


I found this pockmarked cigar box cornered away in the top of our old house, but it went missing after we moved. I discovered it in the basement weeks ago but left it there until I got bored, which is when I decided to make it into a Box for Things.


An inventory of the contents:
1) a small bottle with no purpose
2) a thought on carnies and their strange ways
3) a paper flower
4) a piece of a glass insulator I found someplace
5) a stamp
6) a paper pinwheel
7) a hat pin for self defense
8) a key which goes to nothing
9) a pocket for artifacts of the utmost importance
10) an envelope
11) a pencil (you write with it)
12) a place for files

I guess it could be a treasure box, but it's really just a place to store discoveries or evidence. Or even murder weapons. (See #7)

My first day of school should have been today, but because of Irene and all the floods lots of the roads are washed out, so its been postponed. Now it's on thursday.
So, the summer days are nearly gone. Sitting on the front doorstep, you can practically smell autumn in the sunlight and on the marble. The ducks' bills are growing orange and the guinea hens are coughing "buckwheat!" Their danger alarm is very loud. They are such skittish creatures!

The nights are ripe with echoes lately. Just before bed when I go out to hunt for Pipkin I always like to howl and whoop a little bit.
Now Dad is downstairs singing something which I guess is a song. There are fresh pears in the kitchen which I have to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment